Is My Child Ready for Formal Lessons?
Formal instrument lessons require sustained attention, fine motor skills, and consistent practice at home. Unless your child is highly motivated, be wary of getting them into formal lessons before age seven, because the rigors of formal instruction can quickly take the fun out of music.
To be ready, children should have the ability to sing in tune, move to the beat, and some intrinsic understanding of musical form and structure, meter and tonality. They can get all this in a playful, fun environment that is also far less expensive than lessons.
What's the Next Step After Parent-Child Classes?
In Rhythm Kids, children:
- Move, sing and drum with music from around the world!
- Enjoy a fun, informal and engaging environment
- Develop social and listening skills, self-expression and self-confidence
- Learn using a specially-designed curriculum for ages 4-5 and K-2
- Continue learning at home with interactive drumming videos on our app
- Build musicality and readiness for formal lessons through developmentally-appropriate musical play.
Schedule and Tuition
Tuesday afternoons in our San Rafael/Novato Studio
8 weeks, starting April 14
3:15 pm Level 1: ages 4-5 (pre-K) Register
Tuition: $202, ($124 for siblings of kids in our mixed-age classes)
Try a class!
Use our demo scheduler, (to easily find the class, select "Rhythm Kids" under "class type"). For a trial class, parents should plan to stay and play. For regular classes, drop-off is optional.